Thread: Different types of lycra/spandex?

Official Greeter Zentai Freak Zengai's Avatar

Default Different types of lycra/spandex?

Out of the suits i own, which are all supposed to be Lycra, have a different feel and touch to it. And i was wondering if it's me or if theres an actual difference.

firstly, i have a plain blue zentai which is extremely soft, feels thicker than most of my other zentais and is very stretchy. Very nice to touch other objects and my own suit.

Secondly, i have a plain cream zentai suit with is quite stretchy and feels nice. But when i rub my suited hands on any other part of my suit, it feels unusually rough and abrassive. It's quite stretchy, but in comparison to the blue suit, not as much.

Thirdly, i have a green foresty camoflague zentai suit which feels very thin compared to the other two, it feels abrassive as the cream suit and is very hard to stretch. Although i purchase them at the same size from the same site, it's alot harder to get into and feels very tight. Almost impossible to layer over another zentai suit....

I only have around 3/4 suits so i don't have much experience in comparison (i have 3 new suits that are being delivered) but i was wondering what you guys think or even know about this as im probably more amatuer than the a few here.

Could it be the camoflague pattern dye reducing the quality of the zentai?
    Do different coloured zentai suits get produced differently?
    Why does one plain zentai feel rough when rubbed together while another plain suit doesn't? (i have two lycra catsuits and they feel like blue, but thinner)
    Are some zentai suits produced thicker and thinner than others?
    And does stiching differ from suit to suit. or company to company?

Quote Originally Posted by Zengai View Post
    Could it be the camoflague pattern dye reducing the quality of the zentai?
    Potentially, I think that the patterns are printed onto the material so it might be that process. It could just be a lower quality material in the first place - perhaps because it was going to have a pattern added?

Do different coloured zentai suits get produced differently?
    There are a number of different materials - all of which I imagine are available in most colours. If the suit manufacturer has bought the material from different suppliers, that might explain why suits from the same manufacturer are different materials.

Why does one plain zentai feel rough when rubbed together while another plain suit doesn't? (i have two lycra catsuits and they feel like blue, but thinner)
    See my comment above!

Are some zentai suits produced thicker and thinner than others?
    Yes! Depends on the suppleir the suit manufacturer bought the material from. There are also different qualities of material.

And does stiching differ from suit to suit. or company to company?
    Definately.

One thing to remember is that very few suit manfacturers use material that actually has proper Lycra in. Although most shops refer to their suits has nylon/lycra, the Lycra name has almost become a description, a bit like Hoover in the UK. I have only come across one company that makes suits with proper Lycra in and that is Baltogs from the US - can anyone confirm for certain any other companies?

Hope some of that helps!!

I've noticed quite a large variation on the feel of different suits. In general it seems that most single color nylon/spandex suits are quite slinky - although I have a couple of suits that seem to have a subtle almost corduroy texture - smooth when touched with the grain and rough when against.

I've also noticed that the print suits in general are less stretchy and often tend to have a rougher feel than the plain suits. They are also generally less shiny as well.

Just some observations!
    -Wolf

Check out my photography at Flickr, Flickr, deviantArt or find me at FetLife.

Senior Member Zentai Freak gaz_a's Avatar

I have a camo suit I got from Bodyweaver ages ago and it's a rough somewhat less stretchy fabric than any others I have. I think it was just made tougher for some specific reason, I think many of the specialty fabrics are made for a certain customer's use, and they sell it on to anybody else who wants it.