Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does one repair holes in lycra?

Senior Member Zentai Freak

Default How does one repair holes in lycra?

Unlike my cotton one, my newer black and brown lycra suit has been pretty good as far as damages are concerned, and I'm quite content with it. Still, there's been one small hole along the seam that has been there since it came in the mail. I was told that would be easy to repair. However, another hole appeared that is not along the seam, and I've been told it's impossible to repair. Oh, please tell me this isn't true.

I've stitched up some holes that weren't at the seam in a pair of running tights I have. The repairs are certainly noticable, but at the same time they won't be getting any bigger. So definitly not impossible to repair, there will just be a blemish at the point of repair. I'll take a photo or two and post it when I get a chance so that you can see what the fix looks like.
    -Wolf

Check out my photography at Flickr, Flickr, deviantArt or find me at FetLife.

Senior Member Zentai Freak eZentai's Avatar

Hi NakuRacaelNia

Actually it's pretty easy to fix holes in lycra.

Along the seam, just re-sew the seam with a stretch stich on your sewing machine or serger, or you can re-sew the seam by hand with a needle & thread (and a thimble makes things a lot easier sometimes)

Small, roundish holes can be fixed by darning. Many sewing machines will let you darn the easy way by releasing the tension on the foot

Long cuts & holes can be sewn with a stretch stitch seam to close them up. I usually use a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I've stitched up some holes that weren't at the seam in a pair of running tights I have. The repairs are certainly noticable, but at the same time they won't be getting any bigger. So definitly not impossible to repair, there will just be a blemish at the point of repair. I'll take a photo or two and post it when I get a chance so that you can see what the fix looks like.
    That's good to hear that a repair is possible. Luckily, it's a very small hole, and hopefully won't be too hard to fix up. Did you need special thread or anything? Again, I've been told because of the stretch of the lycra, special kinds of thread would have to be used.

Senior Member Born in Zentai, Die in Zentai lycra_angel's Avatar

well i have just done it with normal thread if it is a small hole, as you have to manually sew alot for it to loose its stretch. yes the hole won't stretch the same but if its small will not be noticeable. And dont forget to sew it inside out too.
    Keep it tight!

http://www.keeping-it-tight.blogspot.com/

''Sodding blimey shagging knickers
    bollocks -- oh no......I'm English.''

SPIKE from Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 6 Episode 8 :Tabula Rasa

IMG_3229 by lycra_angel, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by NakuRachaelNia View Post
    That's good to hear that a repair is possible. Luckily, it's a very small hole, and hopefully won't be too hard to fix up. Did you need special thread or anything? Again, I've been told because of the stretch of the lycra, special kinds of thread would have to be used.
    I just used some all-purpose polyester thread - nothing fancy. I'll get a photo or two up later tonight for you!
    -Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I just used some all-purpose polyester thread - nothing fancy. I'll get a photo or two up later tonight for you!
    Excellent! Thank you very much for your help!

Senior Member Zentai Freak eZentai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NakuRachaelNia View Post
    Did you need special thread or anything? Again, I've been told because of the stretch of the lycra, special kinds of thread would have to be used.
    If it's nylon lycra you must use polyester thread. Cotton or silk threads don't have the strength to match nylon material, and they sometimes loosen or even break if there's significant stretching of the material. If it's cotton lycra you can use cotton thread or polyester, but I've still found that polyester is better even for cotton lycra. Silk thread won't work for cotton lycra.

If you're darning a small circular hole, just do it the same way you would a hole in anything else. If you're repairing a seam or sewing up a cut in the material, remember to set you machine to use a stretch stitch, not the standard linear stitch.

The best thread, if you can get it and have a machine that can handle it is the new stretch thread, but it's hard to find a store that carries it. It can be ordered on the internet, though, do a google search for terms like order stretch thread.

Not the best image, but gives you an idea on what my repair looks like for two small holes. This was taken with the tights on so you can see that the repairs don't affect the stretch. I didn't really use any technique or anything - just went at the holes with the needle and thread. Hope that helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by eZentai View Post
    If it's nylon lycra you must use polyester thread. Cotton or silk threads don't have the strength to match nylon material, and they sometimes loosen or even break if there's significant stretching of the material. If it's cotton lycra you can use cotton thread or polyester, but I've still found that polyester is better even for cotton lycra. Silk thread won't work for cotton lycra.

If you're darning a small circular hole, just do it the same way you would a hole in anything else. If you're repairing a seam or sewing up a cut in the material, remember to set you machine to use a stretch stitch, not the standard linear stitch.

The best thread, if you can get it and have a machine that can handle it is the new stretch thread, but it's hard to find a store that carries it. It can be ordered on the internet, though, do a google search for terms like order stretch thread.
    Ah, that does help quite a bit. Thank you very much!